THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OF MARICOPA COUNTY HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM
The Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV), also known as Section 8, is a rental assistance program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It is designed to assist low-income families rent apartments or homes in the private market. The lease amount is established based on rents paid for comparable unassisted units in the private market in the neighborhood where the unit is located. Rents may not exceed the Fair Market Rent (FMR) amounts established by HUD. If a person is eligible, he or she is placed upon a waiting list. When available, a voucher is issued which the person uses to find an appropriate unit in an area served by the Housing Authority of Maricopa County (HAMC). Utilizing the voucher, a person or family pays approximately 30% to 40% of their income toward rent and utilities and HAMC pays the difference.
The Housing Authority of Maricopa County (HAMC) screens applicants to determine they meet the federally mandated qualifications for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. This includes verification of eligibility and income information provided on the pre-application form. Income limits for program eligibility are adjusted according to family size and deductible allowances specified in federal legislation. HAMC only serves the needs of specific areas of Maricopa County. As a general rule, HAMC only operates in areas and cities that do not have their own housing department or are unincorporated. If a person wishes to live in Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, or Chandler he or she must contact the local housing departments. A list of contact information for those cities may be found here.The Housing Authority of Maricopa County does not discriminate on the basis of Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Disability, Family Status or National Origin. The Housing Authority of Maricopa County is an Equal Housing Opportunity provider.
HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER WAITLISTS APPLICATION STATUS
- Apache ASL Trails Waitlist – CLOSED
- Housing Choice Voucher Program Waitlist – CLOSED
- Maricopa Revitalization Waitlist – CLOSED
- Rose Terrace Waitlist – CLOSED
Maintaining Your Status on the WaitlistS
- If you are added to the waitlist for the HAMC Housing Choice Voucher Program, you will be notified by mail when your name comes to the top of the waitlist or if we are updating our files.
- If you do not respond to our notifications, requests for information, or if your letter is returned from the U.S. Postal Service, your name will be removed from the waitlist.
- If you have a change of address, you must notify the HAMC, in writing or via our Contact Form, of the change.
Call 602-733-6693 to Check Waitlist Status
The Check Waitlist Status phone number is only for confirmation of being on the wait list. It has nothing to do with approval for housing. Only active status is reported if a record is found base on the entered personal information. Please read the “Maintaining Your Status on the Waitlist” information on this same page.
The Interactive Voice Response System will prompt caller for
- ID Number (last 4 of SSN) or Alternate ID Click Here To Determine Alternate ID
- Date of Birth (MMDDYYYY)