THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OF MARICOPA COUNTY HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM
The Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV), also known as Section 8, is a rental assistance program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It is designed to assist low-income families rent apartments or homes in the private market. The lease amount is established based on rents paid for comparable unassisted units in the private market in the neighborhood where the unit is located. Rents may not exceed the Fair Market Rent (FMR) amounts established by HUD. If a person is eligible, he or she is placed upon a waiting list. When available, a voucher is issued which the person uses to find an appropriate unit in an area served by the Housing Authority of Maricopa County (HAMC). Utilizing the voucher, a person or family pays approximately 30% to 40% of their income toward rent and utilities and HAMC pays the difference.
The Housing Authority of Maricopa County (HAMC) screens applicants to determine they meet the federally mandated qualifications for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. This includes verification of eligibility and income information provided on the pre-application form. Income limits for program eligibility are adjusted according to family size and deductible allowances specified in federal legislation. HAMC only serves the needs of specific areas of Maricopa County. As a general rule, HAMC only operates in areas and cities that do not have their own housing department or are unincorporated. If a person wishes to live in Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, or Chandler he or she must contact the local housing departments. A list of contact information for those cities may be found here.The Housing Authority of Maricopa County does not discriminate on the basis of Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Disability, Family Status or National Origin. The Housing Authority of Maricopa County is an Equal Housing Opportunity provider.
HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER / PROJECT BASED WAITLISTS
- Apache ASL Trails PBV Waitlist
- Housing Choice Voucher Program Waitlist
- Maricopa Revitalization PBV Waitlist
- Rose Terrace PBV Waitlist
Maintaining Your Status on the Waitlists
- If you are on a waitlist for the Housing Choice Voucher Program, which includes project based voucher wailists, you will be notified by mail when your name comes to the top of a waitlist or if we are updating our files.
- If you do not respond to our notifications, requests for information, or if your letter is returned from the U.S. Postal Service, your name will be removed from the waitlist.
- If you have a change of address you must notify HAMC in writing. For faster service, please go the customer portals page, select the appropriate Affordable Property and/or Rental Assistance portal link. Login and to update your address.
To Check Waitlist Status
Faster service, please go the customer portals page, select the appropriate Affordable Property and/or HCV Rental Assistance portal link. Register if necessary, login and check your waiting list status. For the HCV Rental Assistance programs select the link at the top of the portal home page labeled ‘Applicant Portal’. Once logged in one may check waiting list status, reply to future ‘Save My Spot’ inquires, and when pulled from the waitlist, complete the formal application (‘Certification for Intake’) process online.