HISTORY OF THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OF
Note: This is a written history of HAMC found in
our files. It covers the period from
1943, when the Housing Authority was created, until 1991, when the Housing
Authority became part of
The Board of Supervisors of Maricopa County established the Housing Authority of Maricopa County by resolution on April 16, 1943, granting them all the powers of the County in operating housing for low income persons, except the power to borrow money, issue bonds or acquire real property.
The following were appointed Commissioners of the Housing Authority:
William J. Coffelt,
Dave Lamoreaux, Queen Creek
George D. Locke,
Cecil L. L. Drew,
Ralph A. Watkins, Buckeye
Drew was named Vice Chairman and Watkins, Chairman, with the term of office to be five years after the initial terms. The Commissioners were given all power necessary to develop, acquire, lease, operate and do all things necessary to provide housing, including the hiring of a Secretary and Executive Director.
The first meeting of the Authority was
held on April 20, 1943 at which By-Laws were adopted; Fred W. Norton was
selected to be the Secretary and Executive Director; and Mark Wilmer named
Legal Counsel. The office of the Authority was opened at 502 Heard Building,
On May 3, 1943 the Authority took over
The Authority also took over operation of
thirty-one (31) small three-bedroom houses in
On May 20, 1943, Gila Homes in Gila Bend, consisting of
ninety-four (94) units was ready for occupancy. Thirty-four (34) units in
PUM Rental Income $29.62
Administrative expense 2.50
Janitorial refuse service 1.37
The Executive Director was paid $300.00 per month, the Secretary $125.00 and the Accountant $225.00. Laborers $125.00, Maintenance $167.00 and the Foremen $200.00.
A trailer park of sixty-three (63) units
in Tolleson was completed on February 29, 1944 and
The ALCOA plant was closed after the war
Late in 1945 Congress changed Defense
Housing to Veteran's Housing, and on September 23, 1945,
There was a large influx of people to the Valley after the war, many had served at one of the Air Bases during the war and there was a great demand for Veteran's Housing. The sites remained full for the most part, but the Tolleson trailers were closed in July 1948 and Luke housing was closed in July 1949.
On March 28, 1949, John Hollar was named Assistant to the Executive Director and an application for twelve hundred (1,200) units of Low Rent Public Housing was approved on October 31, 1949. The Authority assumed management of forty (40) units of Veteran Housing in Buckeye on November 7, 1949.
On January 20, 1950, Herman Asdell was appointed to the unexpired term of Charles Betts
who had resigned. On February 20, 1950, Ralph Watkins resigned as Commissioner
to run for Governor and was replaced by Glen Randall of
Tolleson entered into a Cooperation Agreement with the County to provide low-rent housing in that community on May 15, 1950 and Avondale signed a Cooperation Agreement on July 25, 1950. The Federal Government relinquished the Veteran's housing sites to the local jurisdictions over a period of time beginning October 1950. The Authority assumed operation of the Farm Labor Camp outside Avondale on November 1, 1950. The Camp consisted of thirty-eight (38) houses, three hundred twelve (312) metal shelters for migrant workers, a kitchen, various utility buildings and a clinic. The Authority also requested $100,750.00 for rehabilitation of the utility systems at the Camp and employed Felix Upson as Manager on March 19, 1951.
In June 1951 the Authority applied for
eight-one (81) units of Public Low Rent Housing and one hundred seventy-six
(176) units for Rural Non Farm areas, which included Buckeye, Avondale,
died on March 27, 1952 and his replacement, Maxwell Dorne
was not named until February 4, 1954. In March 1952 proposed sites for AZ 9-1
In July 1952 John Sing Tang was selected as the architect for Tolleson and Herman Bell as architect for Avondale. The Authority received notice from the Public Housing Administration (PHA) that it could only build three hundred (300) units for both 9-1 and 9-2 and decided to build them all at 9-1.
The contracts for construction of AZ 9-1
were awarded on January 8, 1953. Awards were made for building structures,
underground utilities, electrical distribution, site work and landscaping on
this project. We also had to contract with the City of
A cooperation agreement with the City of
In December of 1953 the Commissioners authorized the establishment of a Liquidating Reserve Fund. A management fee of $1.00 per unit per month was charged the Public Housing Administration (PHA) for operating the Veteran's housing sites. Some of these funds were used to build a Central Office addition at the 9-1 office. The Commissioners also entered into a contract with Fred W. Norton as Executive Director for a three year period ending December 31, 1956. The Buckeye Veterans site was closed at the end of 1953 and the buildings removed.
In July 1954 John Hollar
was appointed Assistant Secretary-Treasurer and the offices of the Authority
were moved to
Beginning early in 1955 no new tenants
were moved into
The original site for low rent project
2-1 in Buckeye was sold to the school district and funds used to reduce charges
against the abandoned project. In January the Commissioners authorized a
housing survey south of the
Joseph E. Stern was appointed as
Commissioner on February 15, 1956 replacing Maxwell Dorne.
Tolleson, Buckeye and Avondale reaffirmed their
desire for Low Rent Housing and the Scottsdale Veteran's site was turned over
to that City on April 1, 1956. Meyers and Whitlow were selected as Legal
Counsel and Fred M. Guirey was named architect for AZ
9-4 in Buckeye. Preliminary loans for planning for projects AZ 9-3, twenty (20)
The Authority placed $13,425.00 from the Liquidating Reserve in escrow for purchase of a site for AZ 9-3, pending receipt of funds from PHA. On August 9, 1957 a contract for construction of AZ 9-7 was awarded to Universal Construction Company in the amount of $264,787.00. The project was to be built on an unused area of the Labor Camp.
Up to this time most Authority meetings had been held at night at the main office. It was decided that the meetings should be held at noon, at locations to be determined, on the third Monday of each month. In November J. E. Cosgrove, Comptroller died and was replaced by Camille Wohler. The Town Council of Buckeye asked that the Buckeye project be named H. M. Watson Apartments for the man who established the first bank there. Tolleson named its project Baden Homes in honor of an early resident.
On January 13, 1958 a contract for construction of Az 9-4 was awarded to H. P. Adams Construction Company in the amount of S169,913.00. Later it was discovered that part of the site had been a garbage dump and it was necessary to excavate and fill the area.
In February 1958 the Annual Contribution
Contracts (ACC's) with the PHA for 9-1, 3, 4 and 7
were consolidated into a single ACC and the City of
In January of 1958 the City of
In March 1959 remodeling of the Labor Homes to replace the canvas flaps on the sleeping porch by installing windows and stuccoing the exterior began. Az 9-3 was completed on March 4, 1959.
In January of 1960 AZ 9-7 and the Labor
Homes were tied into the
Bids for construction of AZ 9-5 were opened in July and the low bidder asked that he be permitted to withdraw his bid because of an obvious error. Since even the low bid was over prototype costs all bids were rejected. Plans were revised and a new invitation issued. The low bid, submitted by E. L. Farmer, of $268,995.00 was accepted in December 1960.
In April 1961 the Commissioners
instructed the Secretary to follow County personnel policies so far as vacation
and sick leave and holidays were concerned.
The Authority established minimum rents for assisted housing as follows:
Rents for the 2 Bedroom Labor Homes was set at $45.00.
In June 1962 John Sing Tang was selected as the architect for AZ 9-6 in El Mirage. The Commissioners rejected Maintenance Wage Rates as determined by the PHA. This protest was not acceptable and the rates were ordered to be made effective in accordance with the requirements of the ACC. The contract requirement that the Authority adopt wage rates as set by the PHA was confirmed by Legal Counsel and the rates were adopted.
In April 1963 the Authority adopted a
Property Disposition Policy and in June agreed to act as "Agent
Authority" in the sale of "Housing Authority Notes", (guaranteed
by the PH) for all Authorities in
On September 29, 1964 a contract for construction of Flora M. Stattler Homes, project AZ 9-6 in El Mirage was awarded to C. S. E. General Contractors on their low bid of $296,944. The Authority also defined "Non-Expendable Property" as having a value in excess of $20.00 and an expected life of over two years.
program for use by Mexican Nationals was closed out and the shelters and dormitories
at the Labor Camp were vacant for the most part. In August 1965 the dormitory leased
to M.D.T.A. for use as classrooms for an
Two apartments at 9-1 in
On December 14, 1965 Fred Norton submitted his resignation as Executive Director effective December 31, 1966. The resignation was accepted and he was appointed as a consultant at $250.00 per month. The next week the date of the resignation was changed to January 31, 1966 and John Hollar was appointed Acting Executive Director and Secretary effective February 1, 1966. The Commissioners set the Regular Meetings of the Authority for the first Tuesday of the month at 12:00 Noon at the Arizona Club.
At the request of the Labor Department and the County Health Department the Authority agreed to provide cold water, sewers, sinks and three burner hot plates in thirty shelters for use by migratory farm worker families. In April 1966 existing utility buildings with showers, toilets and laundry adjacent to the shelters, would be used. Occupancy was less than expected and after about three years the units were closed. In May 1966 Whitlow resigned as Legal Counsel and Charles Hardy was named in his place. Hardy was appointed to the Superior Court Bench in January 1967 and resigned. McDougall was named to succeed him.
In March 1967 Norton's services as a consultant were terminated effective June 30, 1967. This action was rescinded in May. In June the Authority adopted a new Personnel Policy and in September agreed to act as "Agent Authority " for financing of Indian Housing. This agreement was cancelled in May 1969 because of a lack of cooperation by the Indian Authorities. The Commissioners authorized membership in the newly formed Arizona Chapter of NAHRO in which the Executive Director had been elected president.
In December 1967 participation in the new Section 23 Leased Housing Program was authorized and an application for two hundred (200) units submitted to the PHA. The Phoenix Presbytery offered to build thirty (30) houses in Guadalupe on part of the Biehn Colony Trust land they controlled under the Section 23 Program. This was later stopped by a suit filed in Superior Court by the Guadalupe Organization, alleging that this was improper use of the trust land. In connection with this program the PHA and Authority attorneys determined that the Authority was not subject to State or City Sales Tax.
In June 1968 an ACC for the first one
hundred (100) Section 23 units was signed, at about the same time LEAP was
leased an apartment at 9-1 to provide services to tenants of that site. This
was the City of
The City Council of Avondale asked the Authority to apply for additional Low Rent Housing for the City and application for two-hundred (200) units was made in September 1968. The Labor Camp operated at a loss in 1968 and the services of Mr. Norton as a consultant were terminated on February 28, 1969.
The Public Housing Administration (PHA) was re-named the Housing Assistance Administration (HAA). In April there was a joint meeting with the Board of Supervisors. Mr. McDougall had submitted his resignation and David Gage was appointed Legal Counsel in his place. In June there was a complaint from a tenant at 9-1 alleging discrimination. Later that month the Commissioners met with a group of tenants and LEAP representatives to discuss the complaint and other concerns of tenants. No basis for the discrimination complaint was found, but certain procedures for handling tenant complaints were established.
A Program Reservation providing for one-hundred (100) units of Mobile Homes for the elderly under Section 23 was received in June. Also a Program Reservation for one hundred seventy-five (175) units of Low Rent Housing for Avondale. On July 1, 1969 the Commissioners decided that seventy-five (75) of these units should be built by the Turnkey Method. James Deremiah was named Architect. On July 16th Ronald W. Craik was named as co-architect and it was decided that only the twenty (20) elderly units for Avondale would be built by "Turnkey". No proposals were received and in September the Commissioners decided to build all one hundred seventy-five units by the "conventional" method.
Early in 1970 the County took over
responsibility for the Labor Camp and the Authority retained responsibility for
the forty (40) Labor Homes. The meeting place of the Authority was changed to
the Phoenix Country Club. In May and June the effects of the recently enacted
Brooke Amendment to the Housing Act were discussed and necessary regulations
limiting rent to 25% of income as adjusted by new deductions and eliminating
minimum rents were adopted. In June 1970 an application for four hundred (400)
units of Section 23 was authorized; Joe Acosta was appointed as a Commissioner
in place of Joseph Stern; an ACC for one hundred (100) units of Section 23 was
signed; and LC-13 and 9-7 were tied into the Avondale sewer system. The Labor
Camp had its own water and sewer system with two deep wells and a ninety (90)
foot high, fifty-thousand (50,000) gallon tank. Sewage was
disposed of by an Imhoff sewer system located on the
banks of the
Casa Encanta, a one hundred (100) unit mobile home park for the elderly, just South of Mesa, under Section 23 new construction, was opened. The project was well received by both the community and tenants and there was a good deal of interest in the concept. Josephine Balanon was named manager. The project was purchased from the original developer by First Service Corporation, a subsidiary of First Federal Savings & Loan, who proved to be good, responsive landlords.
In October a Request For Proposals (RFP) for one hundred (100) units of Section 23 new construction was issued. No proposals were received and the RFP was re-issued lengthening the lease term to three to five year terms plus an option for a fourth five (5) year term. An application for $548,448.00 in Modernization Funds was approved for project 9-1. In March 1971 a number of bids for the Section 23 Turnkey Projects were received providing for forty (40) units in Gila Bend, forty (40) units in Wickenburg and twenty (20) units in Tolleson. One of the proposals was selected and approved by the HAA. The developer backed out and a new RFP was issued in September.
The Board authorized the Executive
Director to negotiate with First Service Corporation for an additional one
hundred fifty-five (150) units at Casa Encanta. Names
for the three sites comprising 9-9 were selected by the Avondale City Council;
In April the Authority adopted the HAA mandated "Social Goals in Housing". Modernization Phase I ACC in the amount of S379,000.00 was executed and in May Modernization Phase 11 application and budget of $1,290,920.00 was submitted. In June a Tenant Lease and Grievance Procedure was tentatively approved.
On September 14, 1971 bids on 9-9 were opened. All bids were in excess of the funds available and all bids were rejected and a new call issued. The budget for Modernization II was increased to $1,441,920.00 to include replacement of underground water lines at 9-1. Formal adoption of the Tenant Lease and Grievance Procedure was deferred pending results of a suit against HAA filed by a number of Housing Authorities on grounds the Secretary of HAA had exceeded his authority in imposing the adoption of the procedures on local authorities. On the re-bid for AZ 9-9 the contract for construction was awarded to National Housing Industries for $2,942,416.00.
In February 1972 the proposal of
Subsidized Housing, Inc. to build the one hundred (100) Section 23 Turnkey
units was accepted. The developer submitted plans and specifications of the
units and several meetings were held, but the plans were never completed and
after a couple of years the developer went bankrupt. The Authority changed its
meeting place to the Arizona Club in the
In December 1972 the Department of
Housing and Urban Development (HUD) limited the budget increase for 1973 for
low rent housing to three percent (3%). It also required that LHA's reduce operating reserves from fifty percent (50%) to
five percent (5%). An ACC for Modernization III for $439,621.00 was executed.
The regular meetings of the Authority were set for the second Tuesday of the
month at 12:00 noon at the Arizona Club in the
In February 1973 First Service rejected
the proposed contract for additional mobile homes at Casa Encanta.
The first of the three (3) sites comprising 9-9 was completed and the other two
(2) sites were completed in March and May. In April a Procurement Policy was
adopted and the Authority was requested to participate in the Experimental Housing
Allowance Program to be conducted by ABT Associates under a contract with HUD.
Twelve (12) communities agreed to permit the Authority to operate the program
in their jurisdictions including
In June the Executive Director hired an assistant and in September the seven hundred twenty (720) hour limit on accumulated sick leave was removed to comply with County policy. Bids on Modernization III for 9-1 were over budget and were rejected. Some work on 9-9 was still not completed and the contractor was notified that the Authority would have another contractor finish up if the work was not completed. The roofs at 9-9 were also causing problems and solutions were discussed.
In November an award for construction of work under Modernization III at Site 9-1 in the amount of $397,709.00 was made. In December 1973 National Housing Industries was advised that they had been assessed $443,880.00 in Liquidated Damages for overruns in the contract time for completion of 9-9 Avondale. The assistant to the Executive Director resigned and was replaced by Salvador Gonzales.
In February 1974 after failing to 'interest any developer in the one hundred (100) Section 23 units for the elderly the Secretary asked the Board to consider setting up a Non-Profit Corporation and selling housing bonds with the property and the contract with HUD pledged to the bonds. This matter was discussed for several months and representatives of Bonding Houses and Bond Attorneys contacted.. On November 12, 1974 the Board of Supervisors authorized the Authority to proceed, however HUD stopped all new construction under Section 23 and the matter was dropped.
Also in February a Technical Assistance Grant was executed with FMHA. Under this program low-income families received mortgage loans at greatly reduced interest rates direct from FMHA. The owners were to help build the homes and build up a "sweat equity" equal to at least twenty percent (20%) of the cost. Technical assistance was provided through our TAG with RMHA. It was a beautiful concept but never quite worked like it should. Willie Garcia directed the program which expired in two (2) years with only forty (40) of the planned one hundred (100) homes built. We had thought dealing with HUD was bad, but found FMHA to be worse. The Authority adopted an Affirmative Action Employment Policy and in April the Arizona Department of Transportation asked for land occupied by seventeen (17) Farm Labor Homes for an interchange on I-10. Arizona Department of Transportation would replace the seventeen (17) homes with new ones immediately East of the remaining houses. The lease on Casa Encanta was extended for two (2) years. The Housing Authorities lost their case against HUD concerning the Tenant Lease and Grievance Procedures and were also turned down on appeal.
Commissioner Locke moved his residence to
In June the Authority Legal Council was authorized to work out a settlement of the Liquidated Damages assessed on AZ 9-9 in accordance with HUD suggestions. An application for the new Section 8 Housing Assistance Program was authorized, and remodeling of the main office to accommodate staff for Section 8 and Section 23 EHAP was started.
Camille Wohler resigned as Comptroller effective September 30, 1975 and Caryll McArthur was appointed in her place. Section 8 regulations were adopted as operating procedures for this program. Tenant Lease and Grievance Procedures were formally adopted on November 12, 1975. Lease up of the Section 23 EHAP units started on December 15, 1973.
Sal Gonzales resigned as assistant to the Executive Director and Chuck Garcia was hired in his place on March 8, 1976. The Authority Operating Budget for Public Housing was below the minimum Performance Funding System level and the Authority was permitted to increase the 1974 budget by $63,577.00. The ACC for the first Section 8 units was executed on November 4, 1975 for two hundred fifteen (215) units and the first units were leased early in 1976. On August 8, 1977 an ACC for three hundred (300) additional units was signed. These were from conversion of Section 23 which HUD had started phasing out. Ninety-six (96) Section 8 units were added on August 16, 1978 and one hundred four (104) more on March 30, 1979.
Occupancy Aides were assigned certain geographic areas of the County as areas of operations. For the first year a Lease Negotiator was used to negotiate contracts, but this didn't work as well as expected and the aides were given full responsibility for the program including applications, verification, briefing, locating landlords, negotiating contracts, handling tenant-landlord problems, renewals, inspections and re-examinations.
Areas of operations are from Gila Bend and Wittmann Oil the West to Cave Creek and Fountain Hills on the North, The Pinal County line East of Mesa and Queen Creek on the South. The program started slowly and it was several years before all the units were filled. The program is well know by both landlords and clients now and a good occupancy level is maintained.
The last of the Section 23 units used for
the EHAP were converted to Section 8 during 1983 adding one hundred ninety
(190) units to the total. The three hundred fifteen (315) Scottsdale Section 8
units are handled from an office in
Ronald Craik was selected as the architect for design of the seventeen (17) Labor Homes to be built to replace those displaced by the I-10 Interchange under an agreement with the Arizona Department of Transportation. An application for Modernization IV funds in the amount of $73,500.00 was approved on May 17, 1976 and later increased to $98,500.00. An application for one hundred eighty-five (185) Section 8 units was submitted and a policy on reimbursement of Employee Training costs was adopted.
In January 1977 the County awarded a contract for construction of the replacement Labor Homes. This replacement involved the County Highway Department, Arizona Department of Transportation, the Federal Department of Transportation and the Authority. The matter was handled with surprisingly few problems considering that one State, one Federal and two County Agencies were involved.
The City of
Elmer Outlaw resigned on March 31, 1977 after thirty-one (31) years service to the Authority and Delia Rivera also resigned as Manager of AZ 9-1 on April 15, 1977 after thirty (30) years with the Authority. We had to use Operating Reserves for the Low Rent Program as HUD had not published PFS factors and no subsidy was being paid.
The City of
A question of whether meetings held in the Arizona Club were in violation of Open Meeting Laws was raised. Legal Counsel gave his opinion that they were not since the Authority was not subject to this law because it did not expend any State or local funds.
A new Personnel Policy providing for seven step salary ranges was adopted in November 1977.
In February 1978 an application for two hundred ninety-nine (299) low rent units was Two hundred thirty-nine (239) to be new construction rehabilitation. An application for two hundred (200) more submitted and sixty (60) to be acquired with Section 8 units was also submitted.
At about this time, the Chairman of the
Board of Supervisors requested we work with the County Health Department to try
to provide housing for elderly who were ambulatory, but could not live
independently. We found we could probably use the "Congregate
Housing" provision of Section 8 to provide housing assistance in
"Adult Foster Homes." Chairman George Campbell,
was able to get
B.W. (Bugs) Bear resigned on April 15, 1979 after serving continuously as Chairman for twentytwo (22) years. The Board of Supervisors refused to approve the application for two hundred ninety-nine (299) low rent housing units, but reconsidered after the cities and towns that had requested the housing appeared before the Board.
David Rich was named Acting Chairman by
the Board of Supervisors and an application for Modernization VI was approved.
The Commissioners also authorized the use of an apartment at 91 for a
At the meeting on November 21, 1978 Joe
Acosta was named Chairman Pro Tern in the absence of the Acting Chairman and
Vice Chairman. The Board of Supervisors had issued instructions through the
Executive Director that the Commissioners must meet in the
named Chairman effective January 1, 1979 discussed and Alfred Sorenson appointed as for 9-15 Guadalupe and 9-17 Tolleson. moved that the Authority follow the County
In December a representative from the County Personnel Department met with the Board and stated he found the Authority salary ranges comparable to those of the County. New By-Laws were adopted providing for meetings at times and places as designated and that all meetings would be open to the public and held in places convenient to the public. David Rich submitted his resignation. Over a period of several months it was difficult to get a quorum as Mr. Heymann would not attend or resign and the Supervisors were reluctant to remove him from office.
G.L. Pennington was appointed to succeed
Mr. Rich on January 1, 1979. Supervisor
The transfer of one hundred (100) units
of Section 23 to the City of
The Executive Director was authorized to approve all travel and an ACC for Modernization VI in Fred Sorenson, Legal Counsel, was asked to research the and on May 8, 1979 Mrs. Nell Evans of Mesa was M.M. (Mike) Heymann. An application for Modernization approved in the amount of $274,000.00 was received. personal liability of the Commissioners appointed as a Commissioner in place of 9-901 in the amount of $403,000.00 was
The Board of Supervisors received a
complaint that the Authority had been housing illegal aliens and that there
were other irregularities in the selection of tenants. An internal audit by
In December 1979 the Executive Director
was ordered to obtain Errors and Omissions Insurance for Commissioners with a
one million dollar limit. Jim Recd retired as Maintenance Supervisor at 9-1
after twenty-four (24) years service. MGM Investment Company asked that the
Authority enter into a management contract to operate new Section 8 projects in
In March 1980 Watson and Acosta were renominated as Chairman and Vice Chairman and were subsequently
re-appointed for one year. Kenneth Allison was named architect for AZ 9-16 in
Gila Bend and Loy Clemons Associates architect for 9-18 El Mirage, 9-19
At the meeting on October 21, 1980 the
Executive Director advised the Commissioners that it was his birthday and that
it was his intention to resign in two (2) years when he would be 65 and the
Commissioners should consider a replacement. It was also decided that the
In December the director of the County Risk Management Office appeared before the Commissioners and advised them that they were covered for personal liability under a blanket policy for the County which provided such insurance for all boards and commissions of the County. In January 1981 the Commissioners sent a letter of protest to HUD on regulations concerning utility allowances for Public Housing and approved an application for Community Development Block Grant funds (CDBG) of $161,405.00 for renovation of nineteen (19) Farm Labor Homes. The Commissioners also approved establishment of' a "Housing Services Fund" to be funded with the reserves from Section 8 Management Fees. The funds are to be used for any "legal housing purpose". HUD advised the Authority that PFS funding for 1981 would be limited to 85.5% of the amount of entitlement.
At the April meeting Nell Evans was installed as Chairman and Joe Acosta as Vice Chairman by Supervisor Chairman Tom Freestone. Also attending were County Manger Robert Mauney and Assistant County Manager Scott Clarke. The internal audit was completed and no problems in Authority operations found. In May 1981 a Housing Position Letter was sent to HUD asking that restrictive regulations be removed so that the Authority could operate more effectively and efficiently. The Authority adopted a Property Disposition Policy and authorized a Deferred Compensation Plan for employees.
In June a contract for construction of
project 9-17 in Tolleson for $825,000.00 was awarded
to Gilliland Construction Company. The City Council of Tolleson
named the project
A Development Program for project 9-20 in Surprise for $1,525,510.00 was approved and an application for CIAP 9-903 for 9-1 in the amount of $1,743,070.00 was also approved. In September an award for construction of fifty (50) units of low rent housing in Guadalupe, designated AZ 9-15, was awarded to Carpenter Development Company for $1,394.969 and a construction contract for 9-19 in Peoria, consisting of twelve (12) units, was awarded to the Sun Eagle Corporation for 5365,411.00. In October an Employee Grievance Procedure was adopted and HUD notified us that the Program Reservation for fifty (50) low rent housing units in Gila Bend had been rescinded since it did not appear likely we could proceed because of a lack of cooperation from the Town Council.
In December a procedure for tenant requests for hearings before the Commissioners was adopted, Ronald Craik was named architect for CIAP 9-903 and HUD notified the Authority that an additional 12% PFS funding for 1981 would be granted bringing the total for the year to 97-1/2% of the amount the Authority was entitled to.
On January 14, 1982 construction of 9-17 in Tolleson was completed. Commissioners Evans and Acosta were re-nominated as Chairman and Vice Chairman and subsequently appointed by the Board of Supervisors. Commissioner Watson resigned effective March 31, 1982 and Alfred Brown was appointed to his unexpired term. The contract for architectural services with Loy Clemons for AZ 9-20 was cancelled since it did not appear we would be able to proceed with development
The Commissioners authorized award of a contract for a data processing system to U.S. Systems, Inc. The equipment was installed June 1, 1982 and work started on entering data. The process was found to be far more time consuming and frustrating than expected. Gradually staff became more knowledgeable and many problems were cleared up. By the end of the year the last two (2) programs, Payroll and General Ledger, were entered. It would still take two (2) to three (3) months before everything was working as it should.
AZ 9-15 in Guadalupe was completed on
July 26, 1982. In September a contract for construction of thirty (30) units of
low rent housing in Surprise, AZ 9-20, was awarded to E. L. Jones Companies for
$843,559.00. Final application for CIAP 9-904 was approved providing $86,780.00
for 9-4 Buckeye, $192,150.00 for 9-5
· Farm Labor Homes, Avondale 40 units
Low Rent Housing 746 units (
· Section 23 Leased 190 units
· Section 8 710
· TOTAL 1,999
Nearing completion of its fortieth (40th) year of operation the Authority was in sound financial condition with Operating Reserves of over one-half million dollars in the Low-Rent Program, $244,000.00 in Section 8 and the maximum permitted for Section 23.
The Section 23 Program was converted to Section 8 during 1983. New leadership that is capable, well qualified and enthusiastic will take over. The commissioners are strongly supportive of the administration, willing to try new approaches and have avoided becoming involved in the operational area.
The coming years should see the Authority continue to provide the best possible housing to low income families at the lowest possible cost to the taxpayers, and to be a leader in its field.
On January 1983, the Board of Commissioners selected Daniel Ortega as legal counsel for the Housing Authority based on Executive Director, Chuck Garcia's recommendation.
HUD approved modernization (CIAP) funding for Project 9-904 totaling $968,265.00, and architectural contract was awarded to Arvid Johnson and Associates.
In March, 1983, Commissioner Acosta was appointed to serve as Chairman of the Board with Commissioner Evans appointed as Vice Chairman.
The Commission approved using $15,000 of Housing Authority Reserves to enable the purchase of property in El Mirage. The site will be used for construction of twenty (20) units of low rent housing. An independent appraisal valued the property at $66,000, however, HUD would only approve $51,000 for land purchase.
In September of 1983, the Commission
approved changes to the Personnel Policies, which clarified employee's Code of
Conduct on Solicitation, Purchasing, and use of Authority Equipment. HUD
awarded $505,800 for CIAP program 9-905 for modernization at housing projects
in El Mirage and
The Housing Authority's Affirmative Action Program was revised to include the adoption of a Minority Business Opportunity Program and a Sexual Harassment Policy.
Phase out of the Section 23 Rental Assistance Program was completed by December.
Fifty-four (54) units of low-rent housing was completed in Surprise and a total of 385 new certificates were acquired for the Section 8 Rental Assistance Program.
In January 1984, the Commission became concerned over the discovery of a need to upgrade the in-house computer system. The Commission's concerns stemmed from the fact that the system was only two (2) years old. A computer consultant, Brooks Hilliard, was hired to further research the need to expand. Mr. Hilliard confirmed the Housing Authority's needs for expansion, and also discovered that the vendor, USSC, had underestimated the projected needs of the Authority and also might be in breach of their contract with the Housing Authority. Through negotiations with USSC, Mr. Hilliard was able to save the Authority $9,750 of the $38,375 quoted by USSC on the upgrade. The upgrade was completed in August.
The Housing Authority submitted a preliminary proposal to the Community Development Agency for the Development of a Fair Housing Council. However, CDA's funds were drastically cut and the Fair Housing Council was not funded.
The Board directed the Executive Director to begin researching alternative housing programs that might be developed through a Housing Development Corporation. Members of staff along with legal counsel visited other authorities who were successful in creating their HDC's.
Commissioner Brown resigned from the Commission in May, 1984. Mr. Arthur E. "Jack" Knapp was appointed by the Board of Supervisors to the Housing Authority of Maricopa County Board of Commissioners in June, 1984.
In August, the Housing Authority entered into a "Memo of Agreement" with Maricopa County Community Development Agency to implement their Rental Rehab Program. Nineteen (19) Section 8 Certificates were acquired by the Housing Authority through this action.
HUD conducted an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Audit in September and the Housing Authority was found to be in compliance with all requirements pertinent to AA/EO.
The Commission, after receiving complaints from a former employee, found that all allegations made regarding staff wrongdoings were unfounded.
HUD approved $104,050 in CIAP funding for 9-906 in October, 1984. These funds were emergency monies requested to be used for replacement of gas lines at the Coffelt Lamoreaux Housing Project.
In November, The Housing Authority's procurement policies were updated.
The Board sent a letter to the Arizona Legislative Delegation to make them aware that the Housing Authority was interested in the Section 8 Voucher Demonstration
Program. HUD did not select
In December, the Board passed a
resolution establishing use and purpose of property located along
The Section 23 Leased Housing Program was closed out. These residents were absorbed into the Section 8 Program and issued certificates to continue their assistance.
Commissioner Pennington appointed Vice-Chairman. Supervisor Carol Carpenter place of Mr. Knapp.
Chairman and Commissioner Joe Eddie Lopez. Mr. Lester Jackson, a real estate developer,
was appointed as a member of the Board of Commissioners. Architect Bob Gomez
was selected for CIAP Project 9-906 which included; replacement of roofs and
furnaces at the
HUD changed requirements that housing
authorities could only house families whose annual income is under 50% of the
median income of families in
Business Automation assisted the housing
authority in its decision to complete an upgrade on the existing computer
system. Attorney Bussey, a specialist in computer
litigation, was hired to complete an analysis of legal issues related to
computer software problems with vendor U.S. Systems. Analysis resulted in Systems.
cancelation of the contract the housing authority had
A resolution to apply for two hundred
(200) units of low rent public housing new construction was passed in April,
1985. Per HUD's request this application was changed to fifty (50) units. Arvid Johnson was selected as the architect for this
project. The later part of June, 1985, site 918 was completed adding twenty
(20) units of additional low income housing in El Mirage. These units were
leased by July lst. Under the Section 8 Program;
fifty six (56) additional county certificates, twenty (20) county vouchers and
On July 1, 1985 the rents at the labor camp were increased. This was the first increase since 1982 and brought the units more in line with other housing authority rents.
After lengthy research it was determined that it was more cost effective to use contract services for the rehabilitation of low rent housing units, rather than maintenance staff. The turnover time was also less. On this basis it was moved to convert from salaried maintenance to contract services.
Through the Comprehensive Improvement
Assistance Program many improvements were made to our housing stock; a masonry
block fence was completed along the west property line of the
In accordance with HUD recommendations, the Housing Authority pursued avenues to remove itself from the utility business and Southwest Gas was awarded a contract for replacement of the gas distribution system at several projects. Southwest Gas then became responsible for maintaining and servicing the system. The sites completed were 9-5 in E1 Mirage, 9-3 in Tolleson, and 9-7 and 9-9 in Avondale.
The salary schedule for the Housing Authority was changed from an 8-step salary plan with 5°l0 increases at each step to a 16 step salary plan with 2 1/2% increases at each step. A Payment for Performance System was established whereby increases would be given in increments of 2.5% and given only to employees who truly performed meritoriously. Staff was trained on the new system.
Commissioner G. L. Pennington was elected by acclamation as the chairman for the new term. Commissioner Joe Acosta was elected as vice-chairman. Joe Eddie Lopez resigned his commission as of 11/1/86 to become the Chief of Operations for the "Center for Development and Housing Management".
Fifteen (15) county certificates were added to the Section 8 Program bringing our total to 1,163 county certificates.
CIAP 907 completed the Avondale and Tolleson site gas distribution systems (secondary lines and service meters) resulting in preparation for the system being turned over to Southwest Gas as their responsibility.
HUD passed the "Alien Rule": Anyone making application for Public Housing in the Section 8 Program, must show proof of citizenship or eligible alien status. This was for all occupants 18 years of age and older. This rule was delayed due to court injunctions.
The computer hardware maintenance contract and the computer software maintenance contract was awarded to Technical Concept Corporation. The purpose being to have continued coverage for computer repairs.
Three Housing Quality Inspectors were added to the Section 8 staff. Their responsibility is to make all unit inspections to see that units comply with Housing Quality Standards (HQS). Section 8 coordinators will monitor the units inspected on a monthly basis.
After months of staff research and with the help of legal counsel, Danny Ortega, the non-profit organization, "Center for Development and Housing Management, Inc.", was formed. The Board of Directors consisted of G. L. Pennington, Nell Evans and Joe Eddie Lopez. It was resolved to transfer $50,000 from the Liquidating Reserve Account of the Housing Authority as start-up monies. Additionally, the property identified as "Labor Camp" was deeded to the Center for Development and Housing Management.
The fiscal year-end was changed to June 30 to facilitate a more effective method of financial control and timely submission of HUD financial documents.
Commissioner Jackson was elected Chairman for the Board with Commissioner Evans acting as Vice-Chairman. Mr. Sam Ramirez was appointed to the Board of Commissioners by the Board of Supervisors.
The fifty (50) units of additional low
rent housing units that were approved in 1985 were slated for the
Under the Comprehensive Improvement
Assistance Program: Valves, vents, water heaters, furnaces and stoves were
installed at the
A resolution was passed to file an application with HUD to dispose of Project 9-7 in Avondale and to relocate the families to comparable or better housing. This would be a joint housing effort between the Housing Authority and the Center for Development and Housing Management.
The Commissioners agreed to implement a Rental Rehabilitation Program as outlined in the Memo of Agreement between the Community Development Agency and the Housing Authority of Maricopa County.
Mr. Manuel Dominquez was selected for the position of Programs Administrator and Maureen Arnold as the new Chief Fiscal Officer. She replaced Caryll McArthur who retired after fifteen (15) years.
A Cooperation Agreement was entered into with Youngtown to provide affordable housing to residents through the Section 8 Program.
Commissioner Ramirez was elected Chairman of the Board and Commissioner Jackson became the Vice-Chairman.
Two (2) sites were located for
development of the fifty (50) units in
Testing of the housing stock was done to determine if lead based paint was present. CIAP 9-9 included furnaces and range hoods for Avondale (9-7), range hoods and kitchen cabinet redesign for Avondale (9-9), range hoods for Tolleson and lead based paint testing for each aforementioned site.
A "Drug Free Housing Program"
was made operational for the Housing Authority with the first order of business
being a Resident Council at the
The Board of Commissioners provided approval on a salary structure modification resulting in all agency personnel securing a 3°I° increase in wages.
The Housing Authority formally adopted a Mission Statement.
"With a humanistic approach provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the most suitable environment through a system of the most effective and efficient use of resources and through education and guidance, develop responsibility and independence in housing that enhances the quality of life for all".
Commissioner Ramirez was elected to serve as Chairman of the Board for another year with Commissioner Pennington acting as Vice-Chairman.
Approval was granted for the acquisition
of forty (40) units under project 9-26. Under the Section 8 program, one
hundred thirty two (132) certificates were added to the County program and
twelve (12) vouchers were added to the
Per federal regulations the Housing Authority of drug-free work place. This certification will including budgets, new development and CIAP. employees.
Forty thousand dollars (540,000) in county
funds was approved by the Board of Supervisors to install vandal-proof security
lighting at the
Additionally, the Housing Authority submitted a proposal to, and was accepted for, a $25,000 grant from the Arizona Governor's Task Force on Drugs to financially support the efforts of the Coffelt Youth Club. As a result of the growing advocacy being presented by the members of the Tenant Advisory Council and the Coffelt Youth Club, an unprecedented Neighborhood Christmas Dinner was presented for all members of the neighborhood. Every child received a visit with Santa and a gift in addition to the "NOT HERE YOU DON'T" message about substance abuse. Phase II of the Drug Free Housing Program was instituted, which included lease modification including the strict "federal" language, administrative procedures being implemented for the assistance, counseling and, if necessary, eviction of drug related persons. Additionally, the presence of security personnel on site was increased and an operational program was instituted with law enforcement personnel and housing management staff to further reduce the incidents of crime and violence associated with the prototype site.
Mr. Hernandez resigned as Assistant Director and Maureen Arnold assumed the position of Acting Assistant Director/Chief Fiscal Officer until the Housing Authority could recruit for this important position.
All the interior gas lines were replaced
The two offices in the Northwest area moved to their new location in Surprise.
Commissioner Evans had to render her resignation due to a conflict of interest. Attorney Christian, was selected by Supervisor Betsey Bayless to replace Joe Acosta as a Commissioner on the Board.
Cynthia Paull was appointed as acting Chief Fiscal Officer to replace Maureen Arnold who resigned as of 12/15/89. Adeline Allen was hired under contract as Acting Assistant Director. Santo Muscolino was hired, under contract, as the Acting Chief Fiscal Officer and replaced Cynthia Paull. The Board of Commissioners provided Resolution 1141, the new agency personnel policy.
A resolution was approved for application
for RWJ Grant for participation in the Homeless Program with the City of